Things I learnt by taking this picture:
- best models are people you know;
- if you photograph people you know be prepared for them not to agree with the way in which you portray them (Owen didn’t particularly like his hair in the wind, I asked for him to untie his hair but he wouldn’t normally agree to have his hair like that for more than 3 minutes);
- learn to believe in and defend your own vision (I particularly like his hair in the wind because I think it reflects his nature!) while at the same time remaining loyal to the way in which people want to be represented;
- blue backdrops are nice; wavy blue backdrops are even better;
- while I tend to ask people not to smile, I prefer to photograph people when they are relaxed and natural; this simple formula never fails to amaze me and I should stick to that;
- there is music in the waves, and in the wind, and in people’s smiles - and it needs to be captured with our cameras and kept inside our souls.
If you learnt something else by looking at this picture, please let me know!